Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Big Words

OK, I know the following defies the ground rules (beware, polysyllabic discourse ahead), but I think it's fair to talk a little more about why we're doing what we're doing (creating a new language for democratic politics). Since such discussion is going to be pretty darn meta anyway, I'm pulling out the stops and using the big words. Fair warning given.
"Every education system is a political means of maintaining or of modifying the appropriation of discourse, with the knowledge and the powers it carries with it"
Foucault, The Discourse on Language

Today, the true "Public Education" is, tragically, the mass media, which has increasing manifested a predilection for the reified neospeak of the far right, modifying the appropriation of discourse in their favor.

A leftwards lexical shift could remodify Americans' mental taxonomies in a similar manner.

Until then, the vox populi will continue to speak (and think!) in the language of the right, even when critiquing it--thus weakening any such critique at the semiotic level.

...And while I truly believe that, I don't think I can sell it to America in such packaging.

Back to small words.