Thursday, June 23, 2005

Rove Plays Petty Politics with 9/11 Attacks to Distract from Bush Administration's Utter All-Encompassing Failure


This is slander.
"Liberals saw the savagery of the 9/11 attacks and wanted to prepare indictments and offer therapy and understanding for our attackers" -Karl Rove, June 22 2005 (video)
How dare he say that as I sat terrified in my New York apartment and watched the twin towers crumble, my thoughts were "let's give therapy to these people... these poor people are just misunderstood."

No, Karl, you are totally fucking wrong.
How dare you play petty politics with the tragedy of 9/11?
And isn't it convenient that you are raking up the mud at the point when your brainchild administration's poll numbers are in the toilet?

My first thought was for my friends who live and work in Manhattan, and my second thought (and I'm not proud of this, though it's certainly understandable) was "nuke 'em."

Rove's statement is simply gross, and right now I want to kick him in the head. What he suggested said out loud at a ballroom event held only a few miles from ground zero is reprehensible, despicable and totally characteristic of the entire Bush administration. While I worried about my friends, Rove's eyes lit up with the dollar signs of new-found political capital.

I feel sick.

UPDATE: Chuck Schumer (D-NY) and other democrats are demanding a retraction.
The one thing New York has had since Sept. 11 is unity...To inject politics into this and to defame a large number of people [is outrageous] It's not what New York and America is all about.
If Rove does not retract with a full apology, he must step down in disgrace. If he does not retract with a full apology, he is standing beside remarks that purposefully demonize, defame, and injure those who disagree with him. Moreover, he would be saying that his remarks do characterize "what America is all about." Maybe in his fantasies.

UPDATE: Took a breather. While Rove must be made to pay, this must not distract from the grater issue at hand: the Democrats are winning, and the NeoCons are using barbed language to disguise this fact as everyday partisanship. I think it's clear, as Nancy Pelosi so nicely put it, that "The President is on the ropes." Why else would Rove (who is a genius--an evil genius) take one for the team like this? It's a trap!